Intel has announced a major expansion of Intel's production capacity in Europe and plans to develop two first of their kinds semiconductor fabs in Magdeburg, Germany, the capital of Saxony-Anhalt. Planning has started, with construction expected to begin in the first half of 2023 and production planned to come online in 2027, pending European Commission approval.
As the Environmental Health and Safety, EHS, Manager, reporting directly to the Global EHS Fab Sort Manufacturing, FSM, Manager, you will be responsible for the provision of Environmental Health and Safety services, processes and support across the Intel Magdeburg site and linkage and support where required across the wider EHS FSM, Global EHS, Corporate Services and Fab Manufacturing organizations, all in alignment with the overall company and EHS strategies.
This position requires thorough technical knowledge and experience of EHS business practices and procedures.
You will assist in the hiring of and subsequent management of Magdeburg site EHS Engineers and manage, co-ordinate with external consultants, contractors, where necessary, who contribute to the delivery of EHS services. In addition, you will act as the site POC or support as regards liaison with external regulatory authorities and representative associations as necessary.
You will be expected to build strong relationships with senior site stakeholders and be a primary point of contact for all aspects of the Magdeburg site EHS scope.
You will be tasked with working with customers to address site operations and performance issues in a timely manner, identifying and implementing improvement plans, and proactively developing the plans and actions required to respond to changing business needs. A core expectation of this role is ensuring all activities are compliant and conducted in adherence to world class Safety and Quality Management Systems.
Candidates will work regular work week, RWW - Mon to Fri, and should expect to be contacted out of hours as business needs dictate.
A successful candidate may be required to work a six-month assignment at another Intel manufacturing site, most likely in Europe, before permanently relocating to the Magdeburg Site.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- This role entails intensive planning and design efforts in various areas of this function, for this project and related projects
- The role will be as a technical EHS expert in the site EHS Manager position guiding and directing organisational and technical aspects for the site team.
- As this is a new site start-up: Collaborate with local authorities, Intel Construction, FCE, and planning organizations among many other Intel teams to facilitate schedule requirements.
- Responsible for the development, co-ordination, continuous improvement, and management of all EHS programs and processes per Intel standards and guidelines and is responsible to the site to ensure all federal, state, national and local regulatory EHS requirements are always met.
- Fostering and instilling a strong EHS culture in which procedural adherence, operational excellence and results orientation are also key foundational aspects.
- Proactively foresee the potential EHS implications or risks of major business decisions or changes and highlight and support the implementation of preventative actions.
- Responsible for resource planning, budgeting, establishment of and maintaining effective organisational EHS, management and relevant structures to drive and execute incident and injury prevention and compliance programs at the site. Be the health and safety 'conscience' for site customers.
- Partner with customers and stakeholders in providing clear expectations to Site Management and in providing strategic EHS planning and directions to the Site in support of incident and injury prevention, program conformance and regulatory compliance.
- People management responsibilities will include all aspects of team health, including staffing, technical coaching, skills development, training and proficiency, performance management and organizational health for the team.
- Be a role model of Intel values and culture, cultivating and reinforcing appropriate group values, norms, and behaviors to align with area business focus.
- Maintain and develop relationships with a wide range of internal partner organizations.
- Fostering a growth mindset for continuous improvement in all areas of operations.
The successful candidate should exhibit the following behavioral traits:
- Problem-solving skills.
- Skills to build and maintain relationships both internal and external.
- Leadership to foster a culture of diversity and inclusion at all levels of the organization.
- Skills to facilitate out-of-the-box thinking that delivers innovative solutions.
- Skills to deliver results on-time and within budget.
- Skills to adopt and continuously improve standards and best-known-methods regardless of their source.
Minimum qualifications are required to be initially considered for this position. Preferred qualifications are in addition to the minimum requirements and are considered a plus factor in identifying top candidates.
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree in a core EHS or science related discipline and have completed a Masters degree in either an Env, Safety, IH discipline or science related field.
- 7+ years of direct work experience in an industrial EHS role.
Nice to have
- Fluent in German and English, both written and spoken.
- Demonstrate a high level of technical and scientific competence in the application of the EHS fundamentals e.g., recognition, evaluation, control, and prevention of occupational safety, health, and environmental hazards.
- Experience in a role that required ambiguity and change due to the dynamic nature of the business.
- Willing to influence senior management decisions and program implementations
- Knowledge of Management Systems such as, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, ISO 50001 and their practical application to industry.
- Focus on attention to detail.
- Willingness to handle confidential information.
- Semi-conductor business acumen.
- Previous people management skills would be an advantage.